The summer has started in a beautiful way, so it's time to spend more time outdoors, enjoying the beautiful sunshine in the best ways we know how.
The sun, has perhaps come as a surprise to some of us, and the heat can sometimes come as a bit of a shock to our bodies too.
Staying hydrated is a very important part of our general wellbeing.
Our bodies are made of up of 60% water (by weight) and water plays an important role in keeping our body temperature regulated, our joints lubricated and very importantly, our brain functioning well.
However, when we spend a lot of time in the sun, we naturally lose a lot of that water, when our body works on keeping ourselves cool. It becomes increasingly important to keep up the hydration and it can be easy to forget this, so here are some quick tips in helping you keep your body working in the best way it can.
1. Be mindful to have a glass of water as soon as you rise from your bed. Remember that your body has been fasting over night so its important to rehydrate your system as soon as you can. Doing this will give your body and mind, the best start to the day.
2. If you enjoy flavoured water, try adding some lemon, other fruits, or mint to your water. This will keep your sugars or artificial sweeteners to a minimum. Adding fruits will make the water taste so delicious and will make it a more enjoyable experience.
3. Coconut water is an extremely delicious alternative that is hydrating and nutritious. It has so many nutrients like potassium, magnesium, and calcium and can replace important electrolytes; so important for keeping your muscles relaxed. You can buy this in many health stores, but at Rawgaia we don’t think there’s anything nicer and sweeter than drinking it straight from the coconut. Wonderful!
4. It’s worth remembering that sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. You may think you are hungry when its actually your body’s way of telling you that it needs more water. Enjoy a glass of water before you reach for that snack.
5. If you feel that you must have a snack, eat hydrating fruits and vegetables. All whole fruits and vegetables have some water content. The best ones for hydration are cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, strawberries, cauliflower, broccoli and grapefruit. If you’re out and about pack yourself a snack box with some of these delicious healthy snacks. They are healthy and hydrating at the same time.
6. Make sure you have a reusable bottle to hand. Keep one in your bag at all times, and sip it whenever you can. You can always fill it up in a refill friendly cafe if you need to. We think stainless steel water bottles are perfect for the job.
7. Making up homemade ice pops is a fun way to keeping hydrated. Blitzing some hydrating fruits or coconut water in a blender and popping them into some moulds makes a really satiating treat.
Keeping yourself hydrated will ensure you can get the most out of every single day this summer. Enjoy it!